Chemonics seeks a Program Manager for the USAID’s flagship private sector health project, FHM Engage that envisions a world in which health markets are responsive, equitable, resilient, and driven by consumer needs. To meet this vision, FHM Engage – led by Chemonics and its core partners, co-technical lead Results for Development, Pathfinder, and Zenysis – catalyzes the adoption of fresh, contextually-relevant pathways in health market development by building on existing structures and offering strong behavioral, technical, and managerial approaches. While supporting local market actors to build upon current government and donor investments, we also use systems thinking to understand the market system, identify root causes of market under performance (focusing on Stewardship; Financing; Rules, Regulations, and Norms; and Market Information), and develop context-specific and locally informed strategies and solutions to systematically change market environments and health markets. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The Program Manager will be based in Antananarivo and will report to the FHM Engage Madagascar Chief of Party. This hybrid role will skillfully manage both Monitoring, Evaluation, Adaptation, and Learning (MEAL) activities for the project, as well as general communications. The Program Manager will provide in-country adaptive learning technical leadership, support data collection and reporting for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities, and program management on activities in Madagascar. The role will work closely with local and global stakeholders to achieve the program’s objectives. The Program Manager will also work closely with the Senior Communications Specialist for the global FHM Engage team, to support FHM Engage external communication and outreach goals. A strong writer with sound judgement, and the ability to think creatively, solve problems, and support strategic communications activities, the Program Manager will create high-quality content for FHM Engage external outlets and play an active role in promoting our global communications objectives.
The Program Manager will assist in collecting information (including capturing stories, conducting interviews, taking photographs, recording videos and sound bites, or developing graphics and images/infographics) to develop an array of communications materials. The Program Manager will also support the technical team to maintain deliverable deadlines, produce high-quality drafts of publications and project deliverables for review, compile inputs to develop quarterly/annual reports, while ensuring all materials adhere to USAID and FHM Engage Branding and Marking guidelines (including style guide and templates). A successful Program Manager will be highly motivated and a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude.
The duration of this assignment is for the life of the project (currently through September 2023). The start date for the position is expected for October 2022 pending approval from the USAID mission in Madagascar. The assignment may be extended with USAID approval.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party and home office technical and communication teams, implement the programmatic activities of the project, support implementation of the FHM
- Engages overall strategy, and ensure an integrated vision among different components and actors
- Provide technical supports to local partners and orient them and new team on the FHM Engages market development approach
- Ensure activities and communications are gender sensitive/transformative, aligned with FHM Engage Gender strategy as well as the DEIA agenda
- Undertake additional tasks subject to workload and skill sets such as business development, cross-project training, and evaluations
- Represent the FHM Madagascar office and our Evaluation and Adaptive Learning Practice through the FHM Engage buy-in, working in close partnership with others in the organization and across the FHM Engage Consortium
- Effectively manage relationships with partners in Madagascar, ranging from USAID to implementers to government and community actors, in coordination with the FHM Engage Consortium
- Support design and implementation of various data collection processes, such as systems mapping and lean testing as well as routine monitoring and program evaluation activities
- Support the implementation of in-country workshops and lead discussions around the project’s theory of change
- Lead desk review and analysis for various adaptive learning activities in-country
- Facilitates internal communications, maintains internal program communications files, and provides communications trainings to individuals working with FHM Engage in Madagascar, as necessary
- Responds to requests from the FHM Engage Senior Communications Specialist
- Supports FHM Engage communication and outreach initiatives and planning in Madagascar, including coordinating with the Adaptive Learning and Continuous Improvement team, to increase visibility and understanding of FHM Engage objectives, approaches, and successes
- As necessary, provides end-to-end communications support for FHM Engage Madagascar’s participation in events, conferences, and other forums, from strategic planning to internal and external outreach before, during, and after the event
- Identifies, researches, collects project information and/or analyzes data to draft useful story-driven content about complex technical topics and other engaging content (included but not limited to news stories, blogs, press releases, brochures, one pagers, fact sheets, impact stories, photo essays, briefs) for target audiences on FHM Engage external outlets, including the project website and social media, or for external publication
- Takes photographs, captures video clips, and creates infographics/graphics as necessary to accompany project publications and social media posts
- Interviews a variety of stakeholders for the purpose of creating content for external audiences.
- Ensures all project deliverables and external facing documents are of high quality, submitted on time, and in compliance with FHM Engage branding and marking requirements, and are consistent with achieving the overall component goals and objectives
- Compiles and consolidates information from technical leads to assist project director in writing and producing high quality technical reports that highlight relevant success stories for proliferation to relevant partners, stakeholders, and client
- Produces PowerPoint presentations for management and technical team when requested for specific meetings, events, trainings, and workshops
- Manages consultants, vendors, and subcontractors to ensure successful and timely implementation of communications plans
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred (Relevant degrees: Data evaluation, English, communications, marketing, international development, journalism, public relations, public health, or related field)
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience leading or supporting data collection processes, and/or experience in communications and outreach, including experience in managing the design and implementation of communications plans or program, and/or prior experience with technical assistance projects and work with donor-funded projects (preference for USAID-funded projects) is preferred
- Strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and adaptive learning and ability to effectively communicate the purpose and work to a diverse set of stakeholders required
- Good knowledge of private health sector and Malagasy health policies, strategies, programs and plans are preferred
- Experience working in health sector is a plus
- Proven interpersonal and intercultural skills, including flexibility and sensitivity
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender diversity
- Excellent management, organization, problem-solving, attention to detail, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under deadline pressure and manage production schedules
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and SharePoint are required; familiarity with web management tools and video editing and photo manipulation tools is desirable; and a strong working knowledge of popular social media outlets (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Instagram, YouTube) is a plus
- Excellent English and French verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to present coherent and convincing messages to audiences, and complicated and detailed data to team leads and project stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, integrity, and creativity
- Must be authorized to work in Madagascar
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Program Manager” in the subject line to FHMMadagascarRecruit@chemonics.com by October 7, 2022. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/