Chemonics International seeks technical experts with experience working on Southern African energy projects such as mini-grids, metro-grids, SHS, and PUE for the anticipated USAID-funded Empower Southern Africa (ESA) opportunity. The purpose of the program, a new Power Africa project, is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, and sustainable electricity in Southern Africa and will connect more users to electricity on the grid and beyond the grid; support cleaner electricity generation delivered by the grid and accelerate distributed renewable energy; and work with Southern African governments to improve the enabling environment for energy sector investment and innovation.
Off-grid Energy Development Experts will provide technical support to increase the share of renewable energy in generation mixes, reduce grid losses, and optimize off-grid power supplies within and across borders in the activity’s target countries. The Experts will also work to improve the efficiency and productivity of mini-grids, metro-grids, SHS, and PUE across Southern Africa (Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia).
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The potential objectives of the activity are to:
- End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards
- Increase the supply of electricity in Southern African countries through clean energy solutions
- Remove constraints to investment in Southern African energy sectors and to increase innovation
Specifically, Chemonics seeks expressions of interest from individuals with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Mini-grid and metro-grid development
- Off-grid business models, including Pay-as-you-go
- Productive Use of Energy
- Policy and enabling environment development for off-grid development
- Support implementation and modernization of off-grid technologies
- Support strategy development to engage communities on off-grid power usage
- Provide expertise and input to local and regional governments to ensure effective implementation of off-grid energy supply systems
- Drive partnerships with private sector to improve adoption of renewable off-grid energy technologies including solar, wind, and hydropower, and geothermal
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, similar field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five years’ experience implementing energy programs. Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is preferred
- Excellent analytical abilities, written and oral communications skills
- Fluency in English and or local languages required depending on work location
- Demonstrated ability to promptly address ad hoc requests
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by December 24, 2022. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/