Chemonics seeks experts in environmental law with demonstrated experience in the prevention and prosecution of environmental crimes in the Amazon biome, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Law experts will support anticipated USAID programs in countries in the Amazon biome (Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Guyana, and Suriname) seeking to curb deforestation through improved environmental crime prevention, prosecution, and improved conservation and management. We are looking for individuals with a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Advanced degree in law such as a J.D., preferably with a concentration in international environmental law or a related field (candidates with a master’s degree in environmental and natural resources management, biological sciences or other relevant fields with experience in the policy and practice of environmental law will also be considered)
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in environmental law, environmental policy, or other relevant technical areas, preferably in countries within the Amazon biome or Latin America
- Demonstrated experience in environmental crime enforcement, prosecution and/or sanctioning within the justice systems of governments in the Amazon biome or Latin America
- Hands-on experience working with domestic and international stakeholders along the environmental crime “chain,” from monitoring and detection to investigation, prosecution, and sanctioning
- Deep understanding of the opportunities and barriers to investigating, preparing judicial cases, and adequately sanctioning environmental crimes in the Amazon biome
- Recent experience working in Latin America, preferably in Colombia, Peru, and/or Brazil
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in Spanish required; proficiency in English preferred. Portuguese fluency desirable for transboundary programs
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “International Environmental Law Expert” in the subject line to IELRecruit@chemonics.com. No telephone inquiries, please; applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. The EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice is available at: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.