Chemonics International seeks technical experts with energy sector experience working on sector policy and regulations in East and Central Africa for the anticipated USAID-funded Enhancing Development through Energy in East and Central Africa program (EDEECA). The purpose of the program, part of the Power Africa initiative, is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in East and Central Africa to reach measurable economic growth, development outcomes, such as reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security.
Energy Sector Policy and Regulatory Experts will support the development and implementation of initiatives to support reforms in the energy sector, increasing the transparency of sector administration, enhancing the quality of public communications on energy sector issues, and mobilizing public support for regulatory and other reforms across East and Central Africa.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The potential objectives of the activity are to:
- End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards
- Increase the supply of electricity in East and Central African countries through clean energy solutions
- Remove constraints to investment in East and Central African energy sectors and to increase innovation
Specifically, Chemonics seeks expressions of interest from individuals with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Sub-Saharan Africa Energy Sector regulations
- Energy Sector policy reform
- Renewable energy policy reform
- Energy Efficiency policy
- Cross-border power trade and interconnections
- Ministry experience
- Policy and enabling environment development for on-grid and off-grid development
- Liaise with private sector and public sector officials in energy sector
- Ensure compliance with local regulations regarding infrastructure development projects
- Advise on cross border power trade activities and engagement with the regional power pool
- Facilitate adoption of improved foundational energy sector laws and regulations in alignment with countries’ Nationally Determined Contributions and National Adaptation Plans
- Support negotiations and signing of power purchase agreements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge utilities, IPPs, and public sector stakeholders across East and Central Africa in the energy industry
- Minimum five years’ experience implementing energy programs. Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is preferred
- Excellent analytical abilities, written and oral communications skills
- Fluency in English or local languages required depending on work location
- Demonstrated ability to promptly address ad hoc requests
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by December 24, 2022. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/