Chemonics seeks an experienced chief of party for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Kenya. The chief of party will provide overall leadership in the management and technical direction of the private and public sector clean energy services project. The project will aim to enhance the capacity of local project developers to prepare clean energy project proposals, strengthen financial institutions to evaluate bankable clean energy projects and expand access to clean energy finance, improve government regulation and policy reform to promote local and regional clean energy projects, and augment the knowledge sharing capacity of key stakeholders in the private and public sectors. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. This position requires work and travel in remote areas of East Africa to oversee program implementation and provide technical expertise.
- Serve as the project's key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, academic institutions and local partners; collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Clearly link project policy and technical support at the national and subnational levels in selected landscapes
- Manage and supervise project personnel and subcontractors in compliance with USAID rules and regulations
- Oversee project work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Link with and build upon bilateral and regional projects that complement project goals
- Advanced degree in energy-related engineering, policy, business, finance, economics, or other closely related field required
- Minimum 15 years of experience in clean energy program implementation, power sector policy and reform, clean energy access, government engagement, energy assessment and technical analysis, or carbon finance required
- Minimum five years of experience managing and implementing complex donor-funded projects (preferably for USAID) and collaborating with a broad range of government officials, international donors, and private-sector stakeholders
- Professional experience in East Africa; extensive knowledge of East African energy policies and governance issues highly desired
- Proven success building the institutional capacity of counterparts at the national or local level
- Competence in leadership, client relations, and project and contract management
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated versatility and integrity
- Fluent English required; Swahili language skills preferred
Please submit resume and cover letter in electronic submissions to EAFCleanEnergyCOP@chemonics.com
by November 16, 2012. Please only include "Chief of Party" in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
In addition, please download and complete Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification form
and submit it separately to EEOselfidentify@chemonics.com
with only "East Africa Regional Clean Energy Initiative - Chief of Party"
in the subject line. If you prefer not to disclose your sex, race, or ethnicity, you may check “I do not wish to complete the information requested.” Thank you for completing the form and supporting our equal employment opportunity reporting requirements.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.